Home About Products Ice Optis Tuning Guide Sail Faster Video Photos Ice Boat Clubs Used Boats Gold Cup Recaps On Board Equation Archives Contact C2



The journey began when I was just a boy, watching my dad rocket across the ice in his Renegade. The excitement of ice boating and the thrill of the race began that day and has continued to build over a lifetime. Each year the desire grows a little stronger, culminating in the quest for the cup… the World DN Iceboat Championship… The Gold Cup.

Thursday, February 18, 1999

This year was no different. I had been planning and preparing for this for an entire year and the time had finally come. Chip Cartwright and Eric Ryan arrived and we finished the chore we had begun the previous night- loading. We left at about 11:00 p.m. for Sarnia via the Blue Water Bridge and then on to Montreal. We stopped for a refreshment at Wooly Bully's, making a toast to a successful trip. We arrived at the border just in time to miss the duty free shops, and proceeded on through customs without incident. The drive was good; more importantly, it was uneventful, and we arrived at the regatta site at 9:00 a.m. on Friday.

Andre Baby was the only sailor on the ice, although Karol Jablonski and Bernd Zeiger had been there judging from the presence of their trailer. We walked out to examine the ice and found that it was just as Andre had described, hard frozen, bumpy snow ice, with snow patches that were up to 1/2" deep covering 40% of the ice. There was very little wind so we checked out possible launch sites and then went to the restaurant to check in with the other early arrivals. Joerg Bohn, Bernd Zeiger, Karol Jablonski, Bob Cummins, Lou Loenneke, Dan Bierman, and Dan Heaney were all in the restaurant. It turned out to be a great time to recruit and organize the volunteers for the opening ceremonies.

We then went back to the ”B" launch site and spoke with the city plow operators about clearing an area to make it easier to transport equipment onto the ice. They were very helpful and accommodating. Next, we checked in at the Holiday Inn, Dorval. Arriving early really paid off as we were given two adjoining rooms on the ground floor with easy access to the parking lot, which made runner work much more convenient. We put our bags in the room and headed to the ice to set up the boats and get some practice.

I set up my new boat with a new carbon Whip and my old boat with my old Stiff Tip Whip. I sailed the old boat first and was amazed at the speed I had against Bernd Zeiger, Karol Jablonski and Mike O'Brien. I took the time to go in and change to my new boat, which was very fast against the Swedish team. This left me with a bit of a dilemma… which boat should I sail? My tuning partner, Chip Cartwright, was going through much the same dilemma, for he had a brand new boat, which he was testing against his old boat. We put the covers on the boats and headed back to the Holiday Inn to stone the runners we had used and enjoy some rum drinks in the warmth of the Jacuzzi.

After much contemplation, I decided to go with the new boat and the carbon Whip. With a dominant high-pressure system, light winds were forecasted. That, coupled with somewhat sticky ice conditions, indicated that the carbon rig would be the best choice. Many were concerned that the carbon Whip would not bend adequately, which, fortunately, was not the case.

Saturday was another beautiful day. I spent the day delivering equipment, lining up runners, and setting up for the opening ceremonies. This turned out to be a great event thanks to everyone's help. I would especially like to thank Sloan Barber, from Pointe Electronics, for the use of his sound system and my sister, Loretta, for making the tape of the National Anthems. Andre Baby was the first to speak. As Area Rear Commodore, he spoke of the local amenities and conditions. He mentioned that Canada is a great place… the only place where you can spend $20 and get $30 change. Bart Reedijk, European Commodore, spoke next and vowed that the Europeans would be leaving with The Cup. Dan Bierman, North American Commodore, introduced the committee heads and thanked some of the sponsors and organizers.

Next it was time to raise the flags. Evert VanderBerg honored us by raising the IDNIYRA Class Flag, followed by each country's national flag. As each was raised, it was accompanied by its National Anthem. This is always such a moving event… seldom do we encounter such fierce nationalism and pride along with the unity and brotherhood of a common goal. The 1999 Austrian Champion, Nicholas Müller-Hartburg, raised the Austrian flag. Bernd Zeiger raised the German flag. Jan Eindhoven raised Holland's flag. 1999 Polish Champion, Karol Jablonski raised his country's flag. 1996-98 European Champion, Tomas Karlsson, raised the Swedish flag. Greg Smith, 1998 North American Champion, raised the flag of the United States. Brad Reynolds raised the Canadian flag. As the Canadian flag was raised accompanied by God Save the Queen, the sun broke through the clouds, for a glorious finish to a stirring event. With that, Dan Bierman declared the regatta open.

Saturday, while beautiful, was a light and fluky day. This made Friday's sailing very important, as it would be the only practice we were to have. The regatta began on Sunday with a Bronze Fleet mini-qualifier. Just after the race started, the wind diminished and began to shift. The wind became so light that only five boats were able to finish within twenty minutes of the leader, Gutta Johansson, whether or not they were Barted. At this point, the Race Committee made what, I thought, was a great decision… to rerun the Bronze mini-qualifier and give them a fair race. The wind had shifted so much that the course needed to be moved. A new course and starting line were set and a fair light air race was sailed. The top twelve boats were moved up to be included in the Silver Fleet mini-qualifier. Sailors finishing 13th, 14th and 15th were scored as 1st, 2nd, 3rd and so on for the first Bronze Fleet race.

This first Bronze Fleet race went to Butch Babcock, US 88, who finished 6th in Bronze for the regatta. Tim Dixon, US 4148, took 2nd and ended up 5th in Bronze for the regatta. Erik Ryan, US 5123, finished 3rd for the race and 9th in Bronze for the regatta. The twelve sailors who qualified for Silver Fleet were:
• 1st, Matt Struble, US 183, led the whole race and was one of two sailors to finish the regatta in the Gold Fleet;
• 2nd, Daniel Vought, US 3937, finished 14th in Silver;
• 3rd, Andreas Gerlach, G 195, finished ninth in Silver;
• 4th, Gutta Johansson, S 44, was the second sailor to qualify for Gold Fleet;
• 5th, Markham Chatterton, US 4811, finished 18th in Silver;
• 6th, Dieter Lixfeld, G 440, finished 42nd in Silver;
• 7th, Stefan Schweneker, G 755, finished 24th in Silver; Stefan was one of my traveling partners in Finland during the 1998 World Cup, in which he finished 34th in the Silver Fleet. I was privileged to lend him a complete boat, making it possible for him to compete in the 1999 World Championship.
• 8th, John Davenport, US 4961, finished 29th in Silver;
• 9th, Mark Isabell, US 5014, finished 33rd in Silver;
• 10th, Tom Hamill, US 4065, finished 13th in Silver;
• 11th, Barry Snell, KC 3033, finished 44th in Silver;
• 12th, Tom Halsey, US 3460, finished 21st in Silver;
I am a firm supporter of this qualification system. It seems to do a good job of keeping sailors with similar skill levels, sailing together, making sailing safer and more competitive.

The next race was the Silver Fleet mini-qualifier. The top six finishers would move up into Gold Fleet and 7th, 8th and 9th would become 1st, 2nd and 3rd and so on to complete the results for the first Silver Fleet race. Don Brush, US 4009, won the first Silver Fleet race and went on to finish 2nd in the Silver Fleet for the regatta. Fredrik Lonegren, S 85, took 2nd in the race and 1st in Silver for the regatta. Wendell Sherry, US 45, was 3rd in the race and finished 15th in Silver for the regatta. The six sailors who advanced to the Gold Fleet were:
• 1st, Rob Evans, US 4975, finished 25th in Gold;
• 2nd, Gutta Johansson, S 44, finished 30th in Gold;
• 3rd, Hennie Vanderbrink, H 313, finished 29th in Gold;
• 4th, Andreas Müller-Hartburg, OE 222, finished 36th in Gold;
• 5th, Andres Cederblad, S 611, finished 18th in Gold;
• 6th, Matt Struble, US 183, Matt was surrounded by Swedish boats most of the race. Matt has spent the last four years in college as an all-American pole-vaulter. He had to qualify from Bronze. It was great to have him back. Matt had some bad luck including three hull to plank failures that resulted in two DNFs and a 12th when he had to stop to put the hull back on the plank and was able to finish. With all this trouble, Matt still finished 22nd in the Gold Fleet.

Race 1

The first Gold Fleet race was a real challenge. After the first Gold Fleet start, Silver Fleet racers, watching the race from the leeward mark, said the tell tails in the middle of the starting line showed that we had a very light down wind start. I had my own problems, my zipper car pulled off of my suit and I had to race wearing my big jacket. Thomas Lindgren had a steering rod fail and was hoping to get the race committee to hold the race while he sent someone in for parts. I started in position 39. During the start, I noticed that the slight bit of available wind was on the left side of the course. Deep on the right side of the starting line were my friends: 25, Greg Smith; 27, Piotr Burczynski; 29, John Dennis; 33, Dan Connell; 35, Rob Evans the Silver mini-qualifier winner; 41, Paul Goodwin; 43, Mead Gougeon; 47, Mike O'Brien; and 49, Bernd Zeiger.

After the start, a few sailors began to bail out and head for the left side. I did not want to tack on any one so early in the regatta, so I went a little farther than I had intended. I finally tacked and Mike O'Brien followed suit 100 yards farther up the leg. When I looked ahead of me, I was aimed at the transoms of every boat to the left… everyone but Mike. When I looked to my right, I saw him on a hike headed 25° higher, so I tacked back. When I got over to where Mike was, there was no air at all. I only realized the enormity of my mistake when I tacked back. At this point, all I could do was laugh and say to myself "Well, I guess this won't be my year!"

I got to the weather mark after sailing all the way across to the left side and coming in to the mark on port tack, in about 39th place. There was no clear air to be had. I found myself doing battle with my friends, Chris Clark and Joerg Bohn. Down wind, I played the right side hard and tried to come into the leeward mark slightly overstood on port. I passed some boats and rounded the first leeward mark in 24th place. Four-time world champion, Karol Jablonski, was in first at the mark after starting in 38th position. Ake Luks was in second after starting in 16th position. Mishal Burczynski rounded third after starting in fourth position. Amazingly, Bernd Zeiger rounded in fourth after starting in 49th position.

On the second weather leg, I went about 200 yards on port and then tacked to starboard. I did not want to get caught on the right side again. I got a puff and a lift, and sailed all the way out to the port tack layline. I found some clear air down wind and went all the way to port tack layline again. I knew I had passed some boats, but didn't realize that I had rounded the second leeward mark in sixth place until later. Roundings at the second leeward mark included: 1st, Mishal Burczynski; 2nd, Ake Luks; and 3rd, Bernd Zeiger. I sailed the last weather leg with the same approach as the second. After 200 yards on port, I tacked to starboard. The wind shifted 35° to the right and increased from 4-6 knots to 10-12 knots. This allowed Bryan Brieden, Thomas Karlsson and Jeff Kent to move from 13th, 15th and 16th place, to 4th, 6th and 7th at the finish. I sailed the big right shift, but still had to do two tacks and a jibe at the weather mark. Coming into the weather mark on the short port tack, I took some transoms to avoid any problems. Then I jibed and went straight to the finish. I worked hard to pass John Dennis just before the finish. I was very happy to find that I had taken 8th place. In 1st, 2nd and 3rd places were Dan Schutte, Ake Luks and Mishal Burczynski.

The wind shifted and built, so the Race Committee needed to move the course and starting line yet again. By the time the course was reset, there was time to run one Silver and one Bronze Fleet race. The Race Committee excused the Gold Fleet for the day. This meant that the first race on Monday would be for the Gold Fleet. Chip and I waited for Erik to come in from his Bronze race. We put everything away and headed for the hotel for our ritual of libations in the Jacuzzi and runner stoning.

On Monday morning the temperature was well below 0° F, as predicted, and the races were postponed several times. At 1:00 p.m., when it was still too cold, the Race Committee cancelled the races for the day and postponed the start of Tuesdays racing until 11:00 a.m. due to the forecast for continued cold temperatures. The early cancellation of races allowed the competitors to work on their equipment and tour beautiful downtown Montreal.

Greg Smith and I spent the day with a crew from Pioneer Productions of England, working on a show for the Learning Channel. They mounted cameras in various positions on our boats, including the top of the mast. We got some great footage with boats all around. It was very cold and the wind was blowing about 12-14 knots. My beard was frozen to my facemask… OUCH! They also mounted a microphone inside my helmet and asked me to talk in a normal voice about racing DNs while I was sailing. Well, I put the boat into a tall hike, slowly laid off onto a broad reach while saying in a calm voice "My name is Ron Sherry… and I LOOOOOOOVE Ice Boating [[ing]] [[ing]] [[ing]]."

The only time my voice raised a few octaves was when I was pushing my T-runners a little too hard and they broke loose into a real nice broach out. Afterwards, I said, "you have to watch out for those Puff Cards." I saw some of the footage before the cameras froze… it looked great. The show will air on June 30th on the Learning Channel, and will show the good side and the bad side of winter… snowplows, ice breakers, snow mobile racing, DN ice boat racing, speed skiing, snowboarding and downhill mountain bike racing. The name of the show will be either, "Snow and Ice Machines" or "Ice Busters." Check your local listings for 8:00 and 11:00 p.m. It sounds like it will be quite a show! John Soyka is also making a video of the regatta and will sell copies through the newsletter.

After all the glitz and glamour of media stardom… we packed up our boats and headed back to the hotel for libations in the Jacuzzi and more runner stoning. I met the camera crew in the bar and thought it would be a good time to introduce them to Mind Erasers. This was the start of a very long night. As the rest of the sailors arrived, more and more Mind Erasers were consumed. When they closed the bar, we all went back to Jane and Karen's room. The Gold Cup was brought in, I wanted to make sure I got to use it one last time while it was still mine. We filled it with rum and Coke until we ran out of Coke. Then we filled it with just rum. We danced… we wrestled… we gave out "pink bellies"… we broke Jane's bed. We thought it would be a good time to settle down when the management slipped a final bill under the door. Tomas Karlsson, Joerg Bohn, Stefan Schweneker, Jakob Schneider, Jimmy Hadley, Chip Cartwright, Bryan Brieden, Danny Connell, Jane Sherry, Karen Kaminski and I hung in till the very end. I finally got back to our room at 6:30 a.m. Thankfully it was cold and there was no wind so I had time to recover. I felt AWFUL…I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN!!!

Tuesday morning, when we got to the ice, it was almost 2°F and there was no wind. The bright sun and light winds helped to burn off most of the snow. After spending most of the morning resting and conversing with the Gougeons and the Strubles in the Swamp Rat motor home, the temperature and the wind came up enough to try to race. At 3:00 p.m., we headed out to the ice.

Race 2

The Gold Fleet was first to the line. The ice was good but it was only blowing about 2-4 knots so I went with my max Ts. I started, going to the left, from the number eight position. I got a good start, but shortly after entering the boat, I realized that I had the sail too low. I considered stopping and raising the sail, but decided, instead, to sail the race as far forward in the boat as possible to compensate for the height of the sail. Tomas Karlsson got a great start and had the same speed as I did, but was pointing significantly higher. We raced off to the left side of the course. Matt Struble was sailing fast, to leeward, after starting in position 48. Tomas tacked away and I decided to go a little farther to ensure clear air. Tomas never seemed to get the same angle or pressure as I did on port tack. From where I tacked, I was able to sail straight to the weather mark on port tack. I rounded the weather mark in 4th place. Bernd Zeiger was 1st, Mishal Burczynski was 2nd and Ake Luks was 3rd. Peter Burczynski was 5th and Tomas Karlsson was 6th.

Down wind, I closed the gap on Bernd and Mishal and passed Ake. When Bernd and Mishal jibed for the leeward mark, I went to school on their angles and saw that I needed to go farther to hit the layline. This meant that the three leaders had to do two more jibes before the leeward mark. Approaching the leeward mark, Bernd was leading with Mishal in 2nd. I was sure they would be in a pointing battle so I decided to use my down wind speed to take a wide rounding and sail through their wind shadow to leeward. I think Mishal was forced to tack away; we never saw him again.

I was a little faster than Bernd and sailed through him, but not far enough to tack and cross him. I waited for him to tack and then tacked my boat, when I had clear air. I seemed to catch a little puff and sailed over Bernd and rounded the second weather mark in 1st place. I had a good down wind leg and rounded the second Leeward mark with a comfortable lead. Bernd was 2nd, Mishal was 3rd, Ake was 4th, Peter was 5th, Tomas was 6th and Matt was 7th. This was the order of the finish, with one notable exception… Bernd finished 1st.

I made two mistakes on the last weather leg. First… when I saw the weather mark well behind my port runner, I decided to tack, without even noticing where Bernd was. He saw that I was short of layline, and sailed farther out to the right side to be sure to lay the weather mark. My second mistake came just before the weather mark. I tacked back to port about 100 yards short of layline, to allow for shifts and to ensure that I would be able to build speed after my next tack before the weather mark. As I approached Bernd, who was on starboard, I decided, early, to take his transom to avoid any issues. What I did not notice, was that I was getting a big lift on port tack. I did a slam tack with a broach behind Bernd, not realizing that he was pinching to make the mark. This meant that I had to pinch right after a bad tack. Bernd coasted away to a nice lead. Since I was not being threatened by the third place boat, I jibed down the middle of the course but lost still more distance to Bernd, leaving him in 1st and myself in 2nd.

After two hard fought races… Bernd, Mishal and Ake were tied for 1st place with six points, I had ten points, Tomas Karlsson had twelve points and Bryan Brieden had fourteen points. The Jacuzzi had a healing effect after a disappointing day… we skipped the libations. After the annual buffet dinner, many prizes were given away in a raffle. Prizes included sailing attire, duffel bags, a Kent mast and a Composite Concepts boom. I retired early to stone my T-runners and get some much needed rest.

Race 3

Wednesday was a very big day. Dan, Jane, Debbie and Karen ran and scored twelve races. It was a long day on the ice for everyone involved. The first race of the day was, again, for the Gold Fleet. Chip and I headed out early so we could change our runners and do some tuning. I started in the number two position, Ake Luks started in the number four position. The ice conditions continued to improve due to bright sunshine during the day and cold temperatures at night. The wind had built to about 8-12 knots with occasional puffs up to 15 knots. This meant a runner change for me. I put on my old faithful, 1/4", 36" long, winged mahogany inserts.

On the first lap, I remember rounding the weather mark in about fourth or fifth position. Rather than going along the shore where the snow bumps were bigger, I jibed down the middle of the course. Coming into the leeward mark, slightly understood on starboard, I had passed two boats. The leaders were very familiar. Mishal was 1st and Bernd was 2nd, I was 3rd and Greg Smith was 4th. Again, I expected a pinching war so I took the low lane to keep my air clear. Bernd was forced to tack because of Mishal's bad air. Mishal and I raced across to the right side. As we started to get close to lay line, Mishal tacked in a light spot and headed way down on starboard tack. Seeing this, I waited a little longer and tacked as soon as I felt a little puff. This worked out great because I ended up laying the weather mark on one tack and rounded 1st. I jibed down the middle of the course again, however, this time, the wind had shifted slightly to the left. Mishal had sailed down the right side and had gained, but was still in 2nd place at the second leeward mark. Piotr Burczynski was in 3rd, Karol Jablonski was in 4th and Bernd Zeiger was in 5th.

The slight left shift made sailing a box course work. This meant only one tack and one jibe to the finish… just letting the boat do the work. I won the race and did a good leg kick for my sisters as I crossed the finish line. Mishal was 2nd, his father, Piotr, was 3rd, Karol was 4th, Bernd was 5th and Ake was 6th. After three races, Mishal Burczynski was in 1st place with eight points, Bernd and I were tied for 2nd with eleven points and Ake followed with twelve points.

Race 4

The wind had built a little, to 10-14 knots and Thomas Lindgren had found the speed that won him the 1999 European Championship. He got off to a good lead and would not be challenged. At the first leeward mark, Thomas was 1st, I was 2nd, Dan Schutte was 3rd, Tomas Karlsson was 4th, Mishal Burczynski was 5th, and Bernd Zeiger was 6th. On the next lap, the three leaders maintained their positions, while Bernd moved into 4th and Tomas and Mishal dropped to 5th and 6th. At the finish, Thomas Lindgren was 1st, I was 2nd, Bernd was 3rd, Tomas was 4th, Mishal was 5th and Dan Schutte had dropped to 6th. After race four, Mishal and I were tied for 1st with thirteen points, Bernd was next with fourteen points, Ake finished the race in 15th place but was still in 4th for the regatta with 27 points.

Race 5

This was an important race because, once sailed, we would have a throw-out. I lined up in the number two position, with Mishal to leeward of me. I went about 1/4 of the way and tacked to port. Sailing all the way across to starboard lay line, Thomas Lindgren crossed me and I had to tack behind him. Thomas held his lead to the first leeward mark where he was 1st. I was 2nd, Bernd was 3rd, Mishal was 4th, Mike O'Brien was 5th and Tomas Karlsson was 6th. On the second beat, Thomas Lindgren tacked short of lay line. He came into the second weather mark on port tack and had to tack to starboard. He was still in 1st place, but had to sail higher to accelerate after the weather mark. I hit the lay line just right and was able to sail past Thomas by sailing deeper and faster after rounding the weather mark. Later, Thomas said his flatter sail had great top end speed but was slow to accelerate. At the second leeward mark, I was 1st, Thomas was 2nd, Bernd was 3rd, Mishal was 4th, Mike O'Brien was 5th and Tomas Karlsson was 6th. The positions stayed the same for the last lap except that Tomas passed Mike. After five races including a throw-out, I was 1st with six points, Mishal and Bernd were tied for 2nd with twelve points, Tomas Karlsson was 4th with 21 points and Ake Luks was 5th with 27 points.

Race 6

The wind held steady and was still blowing about 9-12 knots. There was a large channel buoy and several ice jams at the right corner of the beat, right where we needed to tack to starboard to lay the weather mark. The jams were well marked thanks to Randy Rogoski and the work of his safety committee.

At this point, we did not know if there would be a seventh race or not. The tension had become palpable. I had the lead but could easily have blown it with so much excitement and adrenaline. The competition was fierce and very consistent… any one of these accomplished sailors could have stolen victory from my grasp.

In the sixth race, I started in position one, with Tomas Karlsson to leeward. I got a great start, climbed down into the cockpit and let the boat do the work. I sailed out to the jams and tacked to starboard. This was the only race where I led at the weather mark. I held the lead at the first leeward mark, Tomas Karlsson was 2nd, Thomas Lindgren was 3rd, Paul Goodwin was 4th, Mike O'Brien was 5th, Mishal Burczynski was 6th and Bernd Zeiger was 7th. These last two places were important to the final outcome of the regatta because Mishal and Bernd were tied for 2nd place. Somehow, on the second lap, Mishal dropped to 11th and then 12th on the final lap. In the mean time, I was stretching out a little lead by the second leeward mark. Tomas Karlsson was still in 2nd, Thomas Lindgren was 3rd and Bernd moved up to 4th. On the last lap, I had the longest lead of the race and rode a tall hike across the finish line… in honor of and thanks to my sisters who were scoring. Thomas Lindgren passed Tomas Karlsson and they ended up 2nd and 3rd, Bernd Zeiger was 4th, John Dennis was 5th and Paul Goodwin was 6th.

The race was over at about 4:15 p.m. After running another Silver and Bronze Fleet race, there was no time to run a seventh Gold Fleet race. I was extremely happy and proud to have won the regatta with all of the great sailors who were competing. After working so hard for so long on what seemed to be an unobtainable goal… finally reaching that goal is a highlight of my life.
• 1st, Ron Sherry, US 44, 7 points
• 2nd, Bernd Zeiger, G 107, 16 points
• 3rd, Mishal Burczynski, P 114, 17 points, not bad for 17 years old
• 4th, Tomas Karlsson, S 580, for the third year in a row, 24 points
• 5th, Thomas Lindgren, S 81, 34 points
• 6th, Ake Luks, S 5, 36 points
• 7th, Karol Jablonski, P 36, 41 points
• 8th, John Dennis, US 4691,42 points
• 9th, Piotr Burczynski, P 154, 54 points, our Senior Trophy winner
• 10th, John Harper, US 4379, 55 points
• 11th, Greg Smith, US 3662, 56 points
• 12th, Dan Schutte, H 633, 56 points
• 13th, Bryan Brieden, US 4175, 56 points

The strong urge to celebrate had to be quelled, as there was much work yet to be done. After a full day on the ice, the scorers still had to enter the results from twelve races into the computer and generate starting positions for the North Americans. We had check in for the North Americans. We gave out the awards for the Gold Cup and still had to conduct the "Annual Argument." Definitely above and beyond the call of duty! We got the job done though… we had all earned a good night's rest.

I think my success this year was largely due to a full day of sailing on Cass Lake the Sunday prior to the Worlds. Paul Goodwin, Chip Cartwright, Mead Gougeon, Matt Struble, Erik Ryan and myself got together and did battle through about twenty scrub races on a short course. The course required multiple tacks and jibes per leg. All the extra starts and mark roundings helped too. Playing the wind shifts were key to winning.

1999 DN Gold Cup Results

The Equipment

Equipment used available from Composite Concepts:

• Standard Clone Hull

• Standard 180# plank

• Carbon Whip mast

• Heiner Forstmann boom

• All Sarns hardware

• Harken Blocks

• Doyle/Boston F-01 Standard

• Maximum thickness T-runners purchased from Matti Kuhlman in 1982 (first two races)

• 440C, 1/4" thick, 36" long winged mahogany inserts (last four races)

• 440C, 3/16" thick, 36" long prepreg side steering runner

Those Who Made it Possible

• My mom and dad, who started me in sailing at age nine. They never put limits on what I could accomplish.

• My wife, Renee, and my children, Caroline (5), Trevor (3) and Griffin (1). Thanks for the love, support, encouragement and time to make my success possible.

• My sisters, Debbie, Jane and Loretta and my brother, Kevin… for supporting ice boating on the local and national level.

• Erik Ryan, who helps me to build everything at Composite Concepts. He built the hull I used last year and this year. He keeps me sane, makes me laugh and keeps me motivated.

• My travel partner and long-time friend, Chip Cartwright, who helps me remember there is more than one way to win a regatta.

• The Doyle/Boston Sail Team, especially Skip, Judy, Michael and Julie Boston. Thanks to Don Nylon for such great support in the area of sails.

• All the ice boaters from around the world who have made the competition and the sport such a challenging and rewarding experience.